Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Thankfulness

It's practically trite to post about the things one is thankful for at Thanksgiving, to the point that it's probably more cool to not do so. Of course, if that's true it means that the majority will do the 'cool' thing of not posting about Thanksgiving, which in turn makes it nonconformist (and therefore cutting edge) to post about Thanksgiving. So I guess I'm safe.

For all the complaining that I've done in the month and a half or so that I've been blogging, I do have a lot to be thankful for.

-A job that pays the bills and even leaves me a little free time to feed my blogging habit.
-A warm, quiet, (relatively) clean apartment with running water, working appliances, cable television and a high-speed internet connection.
-A car that runs well and gets me where I'm going.
-An incredible mom that I can always count on to be there for me, and a family that's generally supportive even when they don't always understand me.
-A surprisingly large circle of close friends that I seriously don't deserve.
-A church that I can feel comfortable attending even on days when I'm questioning whether "Christian" and "Evangelical" are really compatible terms.
-A country in which, despite its flaws, I enjoy more freedom than 95% of the people who have ever lived.
-A general abundance of everything I need (and quite a few things I don't genuinely need).
-A God who loves me exactly the way I am, no matter what his self-appointed spokespeople may say to the contrary.

So thanks, God. I know I don't say it nearly enough.

1 comment:

Christine Bakke said...

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing this, E.