Monday, July 31, 2006

Mere (?) Christianity

As an addendum to my last post, I know there are many Christians who would disagree with even the short list of beliefs spelled out in the creeds that I identified as the essentials of Christianity. Rather than declare the question settled, I'd like to hear from those who disagree with my definition (in either direction). What beliefs and/or other qualities do you believe define what a Christian is, and why? Or should it be left completely undefined?

Note: I'm not looking for a list of recommended books; my "to read" pile already takes up the better part of a bookshelf, and it will undoubtedly be even larger by the time I finish Terry Goodkind's latest novel (I read at least one work of fiction for every nonfiction book I pick up). I might add another book or two to that stack if any look particularly compelling, but no promises.

Rather, answer the question in your own words, either here in the comments section or on your own blog. I'm not looking to start a debate (though others in the blogosphere might be), but I am interested in better understanding why some might dispute the basic tenets that have traditionally formed the core of orthodox Christianity, or why some would consider that short list to be insufficient.

Extra points given for those who have made the effort to critically examine and take ownership of their beliefs, as opposed to simply repeating what they've been told they must believe...

No comments: