Sunday, June 03, 2007

Nope, Still Gay

Tonight, while I was at dinner with some friends, we got to watch a belly dancer perform. She was a beautiful woman and a very talented dancer, and it was fascinating watching her different moves. It was a purely academic fascination, though; even when she danced right up next to me, there wasn't even the slightest spark.

Not that I was really questioning my orientation, but it did remind me of the little mind games I used to play back when I was trying to become straight. Maybe the guy in this video can relate.

And yes, I know, you've probably all seen this by now, but hey, he's cute.

4 comments:

PossumCrepes said...

You know, my friends took me out for a very early baclehlor's party a few months ago (they all had to leave after college graduation, so we did it early), and one of the events of the evening included a trip to a strip club.

I am quintessentially straight, but watching beautiful women dance up and down poles, take off their clothes, and writhe their bodies in sexual ways didn't excite me at all. Maybe it was because it was my first time in such an environment, but it was--as you say--an entirely academic fascination.

I couldn't help but thinking about the social implications of strip bars, their psychological effect on the performer and the viewer, the fascinating political interplay among the tippers, and especially the aesthetics of pole-dancing and the feminine body. But sexual excitement didn't enter my mind for one moment--same experience.

I want to take my soon-to-be wife there and see what she thinks about the whole thing, but she's too allergic to smoke. :(

Steve F. said...

It's funny - even after I came out, I had a couple guys invite me to strip clubs as part of bachelor-party debauches. I guess they figured I would find the fellowship enjoyable, but it's like being the designated driver at a frat party. After a while, I really started wondering what the hell I was doing there, besides drinking $4 cokes. I made my appearance, paid my cover fee, bought a couple overpriced drinks, and went home.

The overall reaction to the night? Same as the ad. "Yeah...still gay."

Steve F. said...

...and oh, btw, I'm one of the few guys who still hadn't seen the ad. And yes, he is cute...

Eugene said...

Thankfully I've never been to a strip club. Sitting through Natalie Portman's pole and lap dance scenes in Closer was traumatic enough without having to endure the real thing...