Wednesday, December 05, 2012

Courage

For sheer bravery, look no further than this coming out post.  If you've never had a huge, earth-shaking secret that you've needed to share for the sake of your own mental health at the risk of losing everybody you love, be grateful - and try not to discount what it's like to be in that position.

There are still people in my life that I'm not out to - some intentionally, some because we're not that close and the topic has never come up.  Minus a few relatives, the important people in my life know, and I've been content to leave it at that.  Truth be told, I've always assumed I'd finish coming out to everyone else once I was in a relationship.  Wedding pictures on Facebook, or something along those lines.

Of course, if there is no Mr. Right out there, that kind of dashes that plan.  The question then becomes, am I content to remain in my comfortable little rut, or will I finally find the courage to say "to hell with other people's convenience" and make them deal with the full weight of me.  It's not as simple a question as it may seem from the outside...

No comments: