Saturday, May 16, 2009

Life Soundtrack 14



It's a Sin, by The Pet Shop Boys

When this song first came out, I viewed it through the same lens that most conservative evangelicals most likely did (and do) - as a somewhat whiny diatribe by someone too worldly and rebellious to put God ahead of their own wants. Listening to it now, I'm reminded of all the problems inherent in holding to a sin-centric theology, as so many churches do, and I understand why such a legalistic mindset drives so many people away from the church.

The more we obsess over sin avoidance, the less energy we have left to do anything positive and the less we have to offer to a world that we claim needs what we've supposedly got.

2 comments:

CrackerLilo said...

I understand exactly what you're saying, believe me.

And now I've got that song in my head!

Anonymous said...

I an unable to imagine why anyone would focus at all upon "sin avoidance". I get a headache just thinking about a young gay man with ANY focus upon "sin advoidance". The Catholic Church, The Episcolpalian Church, The Baptist Church and Conservative Religon have each reinterpreted the Bible to widen the scope of "sins". If I were a gay Christian, I would take solace in the fact that nowhere in that geart common denominator of the registry of sins, the Ten Commandents, is there any allusion that same sex love and sex is a sin. If one is told otherwise, it is merely for political reasons. And you better believe that next to our Government, the church is the grandest political organization of all.